After retiring from a 42-year teaching career, I jumped into the dulcimer world with both feet, as an instructor at dulcimer retreats and a workshop leader at festivals. Private lessons are also offered to individuals in the surrounding area.
March 8-10, 2019
Will McLean Music Festival
Barberville Spring Frolic
Dulcimer workshop and Jam leader
Saturday, April 27
High Springs, FL
July 21-26, 2019
Western Carolina University
Instructor for the Advancing Beginner
October 10-13, 2019
Alabama Folk School
Dulcimer Mini-Class Instructor
November 3-4, 2018
Barberville Country Jamboree
Leading a Dulcimer Workshop, a Singing in the Round Workshop, and the Dulcimer Jam
November 9-10, 2018
Stephen Foster Dulcimer Retreat
Dulcimer Instructor and Jam Leader
January 3-6, 2019
Dulcimer U Winter Weekend
Lake Junaluska, NC
- Dulcimer U Week – instructor, turtle jam and evening session leader
- Dulcimer U Winter Weekend – instructor
- Stephen Foster Dulcimer Retreat – instructor and jam leader
- Florida Folk Festival – workshop and jam leader; Children’s Dulcimer “Petting Zoo”
- Barberville Folk Festival – workshop and jam leader
- Melrose Dulcimer Club – monthly jam leader
I am willing to come to your club! Here is a list of a few of my fun theme-based workshops. In addition to the fun collection of songs, the workshop participant will receive specific instruction on use of chord/melody playing, using a capo, and using a variety of techniques to smooth out playing. Content within each workshop offering may be modified for the level needed.
- All Aboard! – Everyone’s repertoire needs a few train songs, so climb aboard!
- All Girl Revue! Laurie Alsobrook – Now that I have your attention, join me for a few tunes, such as “Julianne Johnson,” “Down by the Sally Gardens,” and “Waiting for Nancy.”
- “Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt” – River songs…including River of Dreams, Down the River I go, Sandy Boys, and more!
- Front Porch Favorites – Inspired by songs of the “Singing Family of the Cumberlands,” this workshop offers fun tunes that last for generations!
- In a Jam? – Are you jam challenged? Have no fear…with a few jam essentials, you’ll be on your way!
- Mash-Ups – Just like the Doublemint commercial of yester-year, this workshop offers TWO…TWO…TWO SONGS IN ONE! Come if you dare!
- Open Season – Laurie Alsobrook – It’s always hunting season for tunes like these: “Possum Up a Gum Stump,” “Ground Hog,” “Hunting Buffalo,” and “Squirrel Heads and Gravy.” Yum, yum!
- Rollin’ on a River – Laurie Alsobrook – Life preservers not necessary for this session. We’ll drift along as we float tunes like “River of Dreams,” “Down the River I go,” and “Old Folks at Home” (after all, I AM from Florida).
- ROUNDS…Fun…Together…Now! – Attending this workshop can be contagious! Learn a few new rounds to play or to sing with friends.
- Something’s Fishy – Grab your rod and reel…or your dulcimer and enjoy the catch of the day!
- Taize – Not familiar with Taize worship music? Originally from a monastery in France, these peaceful, meditative songs can enhance any worship service OR simply be enjoyed at any time. Short songs, repeated again and again, give it a meditative character.
- You Rock! This promises to be a class that really rocks…including “Rock the Cradle Joe,” “Red Rocking Chair,” and more rockin’ tunes.